For the 2014 National Council Research Symposium and SAWA Annual Conference, we had the best turnout ever — 540 members attended. SAWA professionals participated in educational presentations, networking opportunities, and interactive sessions to enhance their professional achievements.
On November 9, 2014, 237 SAWA members attended the separate National Council on Pet Population Research Symposium: “Speaking of Behavior: The Impact & Application of Behavioral Science in Animal Shelters.” The Research Symposium, supported by VCA Hospitals and SAWA, featured 10 highly esteemed researchers’ summaries of their completed studies and shared how the findings may be applied at the shelter or community level.
466 SAWA members kicked off its Annual Conference with an optional tour of the SPCA of Texas, followed by the keynote address featuring Dan Pallotta, TED Talk speaker and author of Uncharitable: How Restraints on Nonprofits Undermine their Potential. The conference closed with the SAWA Business Meeting, which included reviewing another incredible year, honoring our champions, looking forward, and electing 2014-2017 Board nominees.
Highlights from the SAWA 2014 Annual Conference:
- 19 SAWA members were awarded scholarships to attend the Annual Conference, confirming SAWA’s commitment to leadership development.
- Continuing Education (CE) credits were approved for Certified Animal Welfare Administrators (CAWAs), and for some sessions, for Certified Fundraising Executives (CFREs).
- SAWA industry partners hosted an extraordinary expo (sponsored by CAWA), where members learned about innovative products and services.
- Joint sessions and networking roundtables provided members opportunities to ask questions and share their expertise.
- The Arizona Humane Society and the Louisiana SPCA tied for first place for the Annual PSA Awards, sponsored by Hill’s Food, Shelter & Love. Nominees also included The Humane Society for Tacoma & Pierce County, Marin Humane Society, and the Atlanta Humane Society.
Thank you to the SAWA members and industry partner sponsors for making it possible for us to provide valuable networking and educational opportunities that are critical to advancing our field. Special thanks to Charter Sponsor Hill’s Pet Nutrition and Signature Sponsor for Innovation VCA Animal Hospitals, both dedicated to helping deliver SAWA’s mission.